1. No Pets, services animals ok..
2. Alcohol in period containers and only for competitions please.
3. Make checks payable to: SCA, Inc., Barony Bordermarch
4. Minors under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, or with a
signed & Notarized Minor’s Event Waiver Form from the parent or legal guardian.
Lamar Campus is a NO SMOKING Campus. Smokers need to go hide in their cars or step off of Univ. property a short distance away.
Kingdom Arts & Sciences
February 9th, 2013 at the
Family & Consumer Sciences Building
at Lamar University, Beaumont Tx
Eisteddfod is being handled by Alden Drake - info below.
Rules for Ansteorra's Kingdom Arts & Sciences Competition
Feb 8-10, 2013 Bordermarch
Lodging information at bottom of page.
Including Static Arts and Sciences,
Performance, and Scholarly Papers.
Sign in at site for Static and Performing competition will be from 9:00 am until 10:00 am Saturday morning. See details below for registration requirements.
The DEADLINE for Scholarly Papers and Performance documentation is January 26, 2013.
- Each entrant may enter one item in up to two categories. The three categories are:
- Static Arts and Sciences
- Performing Arts (see info near bottom of page: Eisteddfod)
- Scholarly Paper
- Two single entries in the same category are not permitted. For instance, you may enter one static item and one performance piece, but you may not enter two performance pieces or two static items. Group entries: the first entry in a category counts but you may participate in a second group entry in the same category without it counting against your entry limits. For instance, Lord Singsalot may enter a solo performance and also perform with the Shire Madrigal Singers, or he may sing with the SMSs and also with the Baronial Consort. However, the SMSs as a group may only perform once.
- Two entries are not mandatory.
- Entries must not have previously been shown in a Kingdom A & S competition.
- Written documentation for static and performance pieces is required for this competition. Please bring at least 3 copies of your written documentation.
- The Static, Performance, and Scholarly Judging Forms developed by the Laurels of Ansteorra will be used to judge this competition.
- Performance pieces may not be longer than 10 minutes without prior approval of the MoAS.
- Those submitting scholarly papers should identify the type of paper being submitted. Categories are: How to/instructional, Persuasive/argumentative and Historical/expository.
- Please e-mail scholarly papers to: Mistress Melisenda de Barcelona, OL or mail 2 hard copies to (allowing time for post):
2002 Moonlight Drive
Killeen Texas 76543
The DEADLINE for SCHOLARLY PAPERS is January 26, 2013
- Although scholarly papers will be judged prior to the event, scholars are asked to send at least 2 copies of their paper for display at the event, so that others might enjoy them.
- The goal of the MoAS and the Laurels of Ansteorra is to encourage all arts and find a way to include rather than exclude artisans. If you have an unusual item or performance and aren't sure of how to include it in this competition, please contact the Kingdom Minister of Arts and Sciences.
Additional information may be found on the Kindgom A&S pages:
If you wish to compete in Kingdom A&S as a performance entry, you will need to
sign in with the Kingdom A&S registry ON SITE, and you will also be required to
submit your documentation no later than January 26th by sending it to the
Kingdom MOAS via postal mail or email at email@example.com. Address above.
You will also need
to sign in with the Premier Bard ON SITE, to be added to the performance
If you wish to compete in Eisteddfod, you will need to sign in with the Premier
Bard ONSITE, and are encouraged to email the Premier Bard by January 26th to
notify him of your intent to compete (so we can approximate schedule times). His
email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Documentation (5 copies please)
should be given to the Premier Bard when you sign in.
If you wish to compete in both Kingdom A&S (performance entry) AND Eisteddfod,
you will need to do BOTH of the above.
The performances will begin at 10:00am. Make sure you plan to be onsite early
enough to warm up.
EISTEDDFOD format shall be as follows:
Round 1 - Audience Participation
The bards are asked to perform a piece that is a sing-along or some other piece
to include audience participation, or teaching. Not all bards are singers, so
other forms of performance should somehow get the audience involved.
Round 2 - Period/Period Style
For this round, written documentation for your piece is required. It can be a
period piece, or a post-period piece written in period style. NOTE: If you are
competing in Kingdom A&S as a performer, this piece will be judged for both
Round 3 - Bard's Choice
Each bard is asked to bring their show-stopper piece.
KINGDOM A&S (Performances) shall be held in the same location as Eisteddfod, and
to accomodate the Laurels judging performances, shall be scheduled at specific
times during the Eisteddfod competition. If you are competing in only Kingdom
A&S, your scheduled performance time may fall during any of the three Eisteddfod
If you have any questions about Eisteddfod, please email
HAMPTON INN: hotel manager wants attendees to call in their reservations under the heading Group Code: C-SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism)...
Deadline for group rate is 01 Feb 2013 Call: 409-840-9922
HAMPTON INN has reserved 50 rooms for Friday and Saturday nights.
50 Rooms, Kings or Doubles included, Group Rate $62.00+ tax @ 15% =$9.30 total per room per night $71.30. Guest must call the hotel direct at 409-840-9922 and ask for the Society for Creative Anachronism’s Block and Credit Card guarantee their rooms by the cutoff date of Feb 1, 2013 after this date the rooms will be released back into inventory for future sale and the group rate that was created for your group will no longer be available.
25 Doubles and 25 Kings. Hot Breakfast Buffet included.
the map page :